If you are thinking about dieting or wondering what the best way is to get fitter, then you must have heard many people mention almond milk to you. Most of the recipes for smoothies, you find on the internet contain almond milk in them. Have you ever wondered why that is? If you have, then the answers to that question and more are mentioned below.
Let us first consider what almond milk really is.
An introduction to Almond Milk
Almond milk is an alternative to normal, fatty, dairy milk. It is made by toasted almonds, and mixing them with filtered water. As almonds are a rich source of various vitamins and minerals, almond milk also consists of those properties. Along with this, almond milk is usually free from any flavors or colors, making it very healthy for the body, especially if you are trying to lose weight.
Which Nutrients Are Present in Almond Milk?
This is one of the most frequently asked questions, what are the different nutrients that make up almond milk? This milk is a rich source of calories, unsaturated fats which are healthy for the body, and sodium. However, almond milk contains lower quantities of protein as compared to traditional, grass fed, cow milk. So when you use almond milk, make sure that you are also taking protein from another source.
ON the other hand, almond milk consists of 50% greater calcium content as compared to traditional milk. Your body is able to digest is far more easily, as it is lactose free, and contains little to no cholesterol.
How to Make Almond Milk at Home
The best part about almond milk is that you do not need to go to your grocery store every time to purchase it; you can make it at home. This makes it even healthier, as you know the ingredients you use are pure and natural and does not contain any harmful chemicals.
What do you need for this?
You will require:
- 1 ½ cups almond, blanched
- 2-3 cups water, for the milk, and additional for soaking/ blanching the almonds
- Honey, or agave nectar, for sweetening, optional
The first things which you will have to do is put the almonds in a large bowl, and add water. The water should be enough to cover them, so that all of the almonds are completely immersed in water. Leave them to soak overnight or for two days, if possible. The almonds will blanch as they absorb water and become plumper. Make sure that you o not cover the bowl. One thing to remember is that the longer you allow the almonds to soak, the creamier your almond milk will be. Make sure that the skin is removed.
Drain the almonds once they have soaked, and rinse them thoroughly with clean water. When you touch and lightly squeeze the almonds, they will be slightly squishy. Add these almonds in a blender and then pour the water over them. Pulse until a smooth and creamy mixture is obtained, and make the liquid as fine as possible.
Pour this liquid through a strainer, making sure to squeeze to get as much of the milk as possible. Then add the sweetener if you want, according to taste. You can store the milk in an airtight container for two days. Make a smoothie with this delicious delight, and feel the difference in the texture and taste.
Benefits of Almond Milk
Many people are unaware of the fact that almond milk is healthier and more nutritious as compared to dairy milk. The reason is because the milk contains high levels of different nutrients. For those people whose objective is to lose weight, the benefits they can gain from almond milk are many.
- Almond milk contains high levels of bone building calcium, which boots bone growth and helps in making them stronger.
- It is also a rich source of Vitamins, such as Vitamin A, Vitamin E, and Vitamin D, therefore, experts recommend consuming at least one cup of almond milk in a day. Vitamins E and Vitamin A serve as antioxidants for the body, whereby, they enhance the immune system and provide protection to the tissues and cells present in the body.
- Along with this, Vitamin A is extremely beneficial for eyes, as it helps improves vision, and improves the overall texture of the skin, helping it gain a radiant glow.
- Vitamin D, on the other hand, is highly beneficial for maintaining strong teeth and bones, and boosts the immune system of the body.
- One glass of almond milk contains 8 oz of fiber, which is exceptionally important for the body, especially for digestion. It helps improve the digestive systems, and easily gets absorbed in the body, thereby helping you feel lighter, while being full.
- For those people, who have been diagnosed with kidney disease, it is very important that they take almond milk, as it contains lower quantity of phosphorus and potassium. The intake of these minerals should be reduced by people suffering from kidney disease.
- It is also a good source of Omega 3 fatty acids, which are mostly found in fish.
- Almond milk is great for people who are diabetic, as it contains low levels of sugar. This sugar has little to no impact on the body, making it healthier for diabetic patients.
- Almond milk also leads to a healthier heart, and helps in keeping the blood pressure stable.
- Almond milk helps in improving the cell functions within the body, along with boosting the immune system, thereby, preventing Alzheimer’s.
- Drinking almond milk for fitness purposes is also beneficial as it helps in increasing the muscles, and strengthens them. The Riboflavin found in almond milk, helps in making the muscles more powerful.
- Along with all that almond milk also contains iron, which helps in absorbing oxygen and boosting energy.
These are the numerous benefits that can be gained through usage of almond milk. Make smoothies with this milk, and reap the benefits gained from the delectable goodness.