A couple of weeks ago we got a Greenling local produce box with several different kinds of vegetables. There was some kohlrabi in the box and I have to admit that I drew a blank as to what to do with the vegetable. I decided to make a grain based salad and toss in the kohlrabi, along with some other fruits and vegetables. After consulting google, I started with this Taste Space recipe as my inspiration. I incorporated some parsley from my giganto-parsley bush, as well as some carrots and orange juice from the Greenling box.
It turned out really good and was a tasty lunch for several days. Spelt berries can be found in the bulk section of most natural food stores, but you could sub out wheat berries or barley if needed.
Spelt Salad with Kohlrabi, Apple and Parsley
- 1/2 c chopped carrots
- 1 c cooked spelt (or wheat berries or hulled barley)
- 1/2 c diced red pepper
- 1/4 c diced parsley
- 1/2 c peeled and diced kohlrabi
- 1/2 c diced apple
- 2 Tbsp orange juice
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/8 tsp dried ginger (or 1 tsp grated fresh ginger)
1. Mix all dressing ingredients together in a small jar, place lid on jar and shake well to combine.
2. Add all salad ingredients to a bowl and top with dressing. Toss well.
3. Let sit for a couple of hours in the fridge for optimum flavor development.
4. Serve cold or at room temperature. Keeps well in the fridge for 4-5 days.