You may have noticed that I don’t each much soy. I haven’t come to a peace with all the conflicting soy research, so I find it easier just to avoid it. Conflict averse – that’s me!
However, and you knew that was coming, I think some soy products are healthier than others. Tempeh is one of those. Tempeh is made from fermented whole soy beans. The soybeans are fermented and pressed into a cake. Fermentation reduces the phytic acid which allows for much better absorption of nutrients in the soybean.
You can find tempeh at most large grocery stores, generally in the produce section by the tofu, wonton wraps and other soy products like soy meat and cheeses. I’d choose organic if available, as organic soybeans are non-gmo, which I think is particularly important for soy.
Tex Mex Tempeh and Rice Bake
This recipe is husband approved. I modified the recipe from a beef and rice casserole that I used to make and was very pleased at how it turned out. Make sure to cook your rice before you start the rest of the dish. This dish could easily be made vegan by using a non-honey sweetener and non-dairy cheese.
- 1 package tempeh, grated with a cheese grater into crumbles.
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3 Tbsp chopped cilantro (to taste)
- 1 teaspoons honey
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chiles (Muir Glenn has a good fire-roasted version), undrained
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 2-3 Tbsp water, as needed
- shredded cheese for topping
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Cook first 3 ingredients in a large skillet over medium-high heat until onion and peppers are tender. Add water and next 5 ingredients (water through tomatoes); bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes. Uncover and simmer an additional 2 minutes. Remove from heat; set aside.
- Combine the rice, sour cream, sliced green onions, and water in a bowl. Spoon rice mixture into a 9-inch baking dish. Top with beef mixture; sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 375° for 10 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Let stand a bit before serving.